I’ve been watching a lot of “Unpopular Opinions” videos on Youtube and thought it would be fun and interesting to do one of my own. I don’t mean to bash anyone’s favorites, just my own personal opinion! Enjoy (:
This tag was originally created by TheBookArcher on YouTube.
1. A Popular Book or series that you didn’t like.
For me, this has to be Looking for Alaska and An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. I just found the plots to be really slow and kind of ridiculous at times and the characters to be really annoying. I loved the side characters but the main ones just made these books drag and difficult at times.
2. A Popular Book or series that every one else seems to hate but you love.
There are many that love this series, but there are many that absolutely hate them and for me, I absolutely love The Mortal Instruments series (really all the Shadowhunter books) by Cassandra Clare. Granted, City of Bones was not the best book in the world, but the TMI series as a whole is wonderful. City of Glass and City of Heavenly Fire are so amazing that even if you don’t care for the other books, no matter how good others might say they are, its worth reading them all. Also Alec Lightwood is there. And Isabelle Lightwood. And Magnus Bane. And Sebastian Morgenstern. Okay I’ll stop. Just go read all the Shadowhunter books! Don’t judge them by City of Bones!
3. A Love Triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with (warn ppl for spoilers) OR an OTP that you don’t like.
***SPOILERS FOR THE GRISHA TRILOGY BY LEIGH BARDUGO***
I don’t like Mal. Never did, never will. I loved Nikolai so much and I wish that Alina would have ended up with him instead. Or by herself, anyone but Mal.
4. A popular book Genre that you hardly reach for.
Historical Fiction. I loved Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein and Prisoner of Night and Fog by Anne Blankman but I have no been able to get into any historical fiction books as of late.
5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like.
I’m going to do what Emma from “emmmabooks” on YouTube did for this and say a hated character that you love. I love Eadlyn in The Heir by Kiera Cass. A lot of people thought she was a bitch but for me, she was a boss ass bitch. She made her decisions in a timely manner and did what needed to be done and I loved how she took charge. Love her.
6. A popular author that you can’t seem to get into.
Jennifer E. Smith. I’ve read three whole books by her and thought that one was just okay and that the other two were so stupid and unrealistic. She’s just not for me.
7. A popular book trope that you’re tired of seeing. (examples “lost princess”, corrupt ruler, love triangles, etc.)
Love triangles. They’re annoying and don’t happen in real life. Just stop.Also the “lost princess” trope is becoming too common.
8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading.
The Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth. I got spoiled for Allegiant when it came out but I’ve also heard that the books aren’t that great after the first one so…
9. The saying goes “The book is always better than the movie”, but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?
I didn’t read it, but from what I heard, The Maze Runner was a much better movie. And if what I have heard about the book from people with similar tastes is true, I would have to agree.